As they say - It's never too early to start!
When you introduce you baby to books he/she is more likely to try to put a book in her mouth than to turn its pages. But that doesn't mean it's too soon to make reading a part of your little one's life. Experts say exposing babies to books in the first year is crucial to their intellectual and emotional growth. In fact, research shows that reading to infants can help jump-start brain development and can even make them more receptive to learning.
Picture books with bright, simple images provide visual stimulation that enhances your child's cognitive skills: Pointing out objects and talking about them with your baby -- "See those yellow flowers?" helps him/her link names with specific objects and shows her that what your baby sees in books exists in real life.
Spend time reading to your child - It encourages speech and language development and is a great way for you to interact and communicate with your baby early on. Studies also show that the earlier babies are exposed to reading, the more they will enjoy reading and learning and the better they will perform in school.
Here's how to get started with your little one -
- Keep it short - Infants have short attention spans, so read for 10 to 15 minutes, once or twice a day.
- What to read - Use board or fabric books so your baby can explore the book with you. If they put it in their mouth, let them!
- Repetition - If you read the same story over and over, your baby will learn at what points he should laugh and get excited by the changes in your voice.
- Watch baby evolve - By six to nine months, your baby will start to copy you and turn multiple pages at a time. They will also be able to engage in flip up books.
- An enlightened reader - By about one-year your child will be able to flip single pages in a book. They will also stop using the pages as a teether, so it's a great time to start introducing paper books.
To start with, get baby touch books like this one - babies get very fascinated with bright colours and big images and exploring textures.
This one and more baby touch books are available at flipkart -
Source - www.justthefactsbaby.com, www.parents.com