It's true that honey should not be fed to infants younger than 1 year old?

Although honey seems like a wholesome and natural food to give your infant, don't do it until after she's at least 12 months old. Honey can contain spores of a bacterium called Clostridium botulinum, which can germinate in a baby's immature digestive system and cause infant botulism, These spores are usually harmless to adults and childrenover 1 year old, because the microorganisms normally found in the intestine keep the bacteria from growing.

Clostridium bacteria that cause infant botulism usually thrive in soil and dust. However, they can also contaminate certain foods — honey in particular. Infant botulism can cause muscle weakness, with signs like poor sucking, a weak cry, constipation etc

 Parents can reduce the risk of infant botulism by not introducing honey or any processed foods containing honey (like honey graham crackers) into their baby's diet until after the first birthday.

As kids get older, their bodies are better able to handle the bacteria.

 So no honey till your honey bunny celebrates his/her first birthday.

 

 

Source  

www.kidshealth.org

 

 

 

 

 

 

 



Leave a comment